Monday, March 29, 2010

Illinois Bass Federation Open Trail Event - Lake of Egypt

Four words can describe my tournament...too little, too late!  I spent the better part of the tournament day cranking grass lines in 3-6 feet of water.  I had caught too many fish in practice to not give it a good try during the tournament.  What I feel like hurt me the most, was fishing history, and not fishing the durrent situations the lake provided.  I'll explain.  In years past I have had a lot of success cranking grasslines on this lake, and if you stay at it long enough, at some point during the day you will connect with a school or two of active fish and load the boat.  Currently, the lake has less grass in it than I've ever seen, which really limited the amount of water I could fish.  Instead of adapting to the current situation, I forced the issue and continued to fish the grass lines with a crankbait.  With about two hours to go, I pulled out my flipping stick and went shallow and connected on a couple of keepers before running out of time.  I managed to get 6 bites flipping in two hours, and only converted two of those into caught fish.  Had I committed a whole day to flipping, I believe that I could have overcome a few lost fish and still weighed a good limit, at least enough weight to get payed.  As it stands, I'm writing about another tournament where I missed getting a check.  This time by my own hard headedness and unwillingness to change.  History hurt me on this one, it's time to practice what I preach, and fish the current conditions, instead of forcing things that are not working.  For the record, I finished with two fish for 6.03 lbs.  That's about as "run-of-the-mill" as it gets.  Nothing like a large dose of mediocracy! 

On a better note, Lord willing, I'll leave April 9th for Lake Oauchita in Hot Springs, AR for the second tournament of the American Fishing Series Central Division.  Until then, God Bless!
Duke

No comments: